Thursday 22 September 2016

Story time- fraud on my account

Someone tried to take money from my account

Twitter:AmyRoseMcGuire
Snapchat: missamymcguire
Email: missamymcguire@hotmail.com
If you want to keep up to date with that I do on a daily basis follow me on my social media above, and I'll be sure to follow you right back :).

Hello Little ones! How have you been the past few days? I've been dealing with what I'm currently writing about, pretty stressful right? This is why I have been absent for 2 days, I really am sorry about that; but I thought I would make up for that by telling you about it!
Tomorrow I will be treating you guys to a Body-Shop haul, how exciting! As for now it's a story time, which you ALL need to look out for! Keep your eyes pealed and details close to your heart!
Have a little read if you want, it may benefit you in the long-run :).

If you want to read another story time click here!


BACKSTORY:

I'm an extremely anxious human being. I NEVER leave receipts out in the open, I shred everything that has my details on; this is what my mother taught me, and I go by her standards. It may sound ridiculous, but not when there are evil people out there trying to take your hard-working money away from you. In addition to this, I have never been the one to put excessive amounts of card information on the internet; the only time I would EVER do this would be online shopping; which I don't think I will be doing for a while; because of a recent situation that has happened to me. 

WHAT HAPPENED:

Profoundly, I was on the internet, doing the usual-research, social media and replying to emails. One caught my eye, it was an email from Gov.com. It stated that I was due a tax rebate; which I found amazing at the time; it looked like a legit email ... So I put my card details in, as well as my full name and address. All PERSONAL information. I was thinking to myself that this was perfect, I was getting paid soon and this on top would of been perfection! 
The positive thoughts stopped when I received a text message from my bank, it stated that my account was being hacked into and that I needed to phone the fraud department as soon as possible. My heart was in my mouth, I couldn't believe that this was happening to me! I was always careful with my money, I had no idea at this point in time how this could of happened. I looked up the number that the bank text me on; just to make sure that it was the bank, simply because I didn't want to disclose any personal information over the phone to fakes. It was a legit number so I called them, they stated, "did you try and pay for something on Maplins for £420?" I urgently said, "no". Panic was rifling down my body, my hands were clammy from the sweat, I had no idea what to do, the lady's words sounded like a blur. It took a few moments for me to snap back to reality and think that I had to do something, and something quick! She said, "we will put a block on your account, we are also sending you a new card in 2 working days" She also said, "for them to of done this they would of has to of known ALL your personal information". It was then that it clicked ... The email ... I had put all my personal information on there, my heart sank and I began to sob. She consulted me while I told her what I had done by mistake. She reassured me that my account was blocked and she would unblock in when my new card arrived, just so I would be able to spend my money when I got paid. I was worried of what she thought of me, that I was a careless young child that couldn't look after my details, I poured my heart out to this person, she did nothing but laugh a little and say that this happens all the time; and that this had happened to her a few years back. She was ever so kind. 
In this current situation I now have my new card and my anxiety has gone away for the time being. 

KEY TIPS:

If you have received an EMAIL from GOV it's NOT real! It's FAKE! The government will only get into contact with you over the phone, or they will send you a letter in a BROWN envelope!
I thought that they could send out emails, but they don't! Although they offer online services they do not require you to fill out any personal information on the web, only over the phone! Something else you need to know, is that if you are owed a tax rebate, you can ONLY do this OVER THE PHONE. They will take your information over the phone, and they will NOT ask for card details. They will send you a check in the post with your rebate. I repeat they do NOT ask for card information, if they do they are FAKE!

This is now the end of my blog post, I know this is a very scary topic, but I want to make sure that my Little ones are safe and sound. If this has happened to you, or someone you know, or if you are unsure then at least you know now. 
Please don't do what I did, it was a tough lesson to learn, but I didn't know at the time, it was too late. But I am ok now, and you guys will be as well! 
I love you all so very much, I will see you tomorrow with something a bit more positive! Sleep tight and see you tomorrow! Stay safe and stay tuned Little ones :) x x x

Snapchat: missamymcguire
Email: missamymcguire@hotmail.com
If you want to keep up to date with that I do on a daily basis follow me on my social media above, and I'll be sure to follow you right back :).



No comments:

Post a Comment