Thursday 18 January 2018

ADVICE | STARTING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL IN 2018 ... DARK TRUTH

DEAR YOUTUBE ... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED

Snapchat: amymrmcguire
Email: missamymcguire@hotmail.com
YOUTUBE: MissRoseMcGuire


Good morning Little ones ... Today isn't all sunshine and rainbows, I was smacked in the face with a cold reality, in the name of YouTube. I don't know how this is going to be structured, but what I do know, is that if you are a small creator like myself, PLEASE don't give up. Spread your voice and be heard, if we work together we can make a real difference.
If you don't want to read this, my video will be embedded below, we need to spread this message as quickly as possible.
After you are done reading, or watching, share what you can ... PLEASE.


YOUTUBE NEW MONETIZATION GUIDELINES:

2018 is the year for change, positivity, and better content. 
If you don't know already, YouTube implimented a new monitzation strategy to, "allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them, (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone". [1 Abhimanyu Ghoshal, (2018)]
Sounds promising right? When my fiance informed me of the new guidelines, I was shoot down ... It's not until you come face to face with YouTubes guidelines, where it deprives you all of: hope, determination and pleasure.
In order for you to be considered for YouTube's programme, you need to have "4000 hours of annual viewing, and over 1000 subscribers" [2 Chris Welch, (2018)]
My initial reaction was, hell no, that's never going to happen ... I was giving YouTube what they wanted, I was crumbling down into nothing and keeping the rich richer. 
I was absolutely devastated, their old monetization guideline was to, gain "10,000 lifetime views on their channel" [3 Ben Popper, (2017)], within my year on YouTube I was able to obtain 9,140 lifetime views, I was so close to the 10,000 mark ... And YouTube took it away, and has made it even harder to get where you want to be and achieve your dreams and ambitions. 
Lucky enough for me, I was getting paid in the first place, I was never robbed from paying my bills, but for some small creators that's not the case. If they din't obtain 4000 hours in a year, they are automatically taken off the YouTube programme until they met the requirements.
What do they care if you have a mortgage to pay? In the famous words of ricegum, "you're irrelevant". But I thought that YouTube wanted a positive community? That's what it used to be, a content place where anyone in the world, of any diversity, could have a safe place where they could be who they wanted to be.
But it's a number obsessed environment, if you don't have the numbers, no matter if your content is positive, or fantastic; you don't belong here. Meaning that you you aren't as cool as Logan Paul for uploading a video of a dead body ... Nice standards, you can't sit with us.
I'm not the only one that thinks this way, my favourite YouTuber Lindy Tsang, also known as Bubzbeauty and Bubzvlogz, has over 3 million subscribers, I've been watching her since her quirky hair tutorials. In her opinion, "YouTube is just such a different place now, compared to how it used to be 10 years ago, used to be a place where people could share their daily thoughts, it's got to a very extreme place, a lot of the content creators have lost their human sense for adsence". [4 bubzbeauty, (2018)]
And you know what, I couldn't agree with her more, and that's not me kissing her ass, I feel like what she is saying is utterly true ... Hence the Logan Paul video. Why should you feel the need to be so disrespectful to another human being? What on earth they did they do, and what on earth did the family do, to deserve such treatment? For views? Fame? Well, very well done, you've disdained what used to be an amazing community. 
Lastly on this disgusting new improved guideline, YouTube say that their aim is to, "prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing" ... But, weren't you already doing that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a content creator was to swear, or film something inappropriate, you would automatically detect this action and demonitize it? Hence pewdiepies ongoing jokes about how he should become a Christian channel so he can get paid.
But YouTube, if you were already doing this, why would you need to highlight this action in your new scheme of plans, doesn't make sense. But it's a pathetic excuse if you ask me. It just goes to show how you don't not only care about your consumers, but your original content creators and the "community". 

STARTING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL IN 2018:

Now, some of you probably have separate opinions, which go along the lines of, 'why should I produce content, for such a repulsive company, or 'YouTube have made it near enough impossible, I stand no chance'.
In regards to working for the big bad boss, in the name of YouTube, don't let their work ethics affect you ... Produce what you want to produce. YouTube is constantly changing, and they will probably interject another depressing guideline in 2019. That's the way it's going to be, so accept it.
And if you thought like me, which is, they've made it impossible I should give up ... You are feeding the monster, the more we let them walk all over us the better, (for them). DON'T you dare give up! Fight for happiness, self-worth, independence. Be yourself and stay true to yourself. 
I had my moment of self-pity, and was tempted just to press the delete button, but I have not come all this way, for inaccurate, unfair numbers to be thrown in my face and tell me that I'm not capable. 
Just because I don't have millions of followers, doesn't mean that my content is useless, or not worth to be paid for. It means that I will work even harder, and stay strong to eventually get to self-actualisation and tell YouTube where to stick it. 
Find something you are passionate about, film it! Upload, whenever and whenever you want, you are in control of your channel! Not YouTube! 

Right, you know what to do, now SPREAD THIS MESSAGE, we need to REACH as MANY people as possible! I will be filming a separate video, and uploading it today, because we need to interject hope and passion into the creators that have lost their way to self-actualisation.
WE are change, and WE need to do this! 
Little Ones, I love you so much, this is then end of this blog post, but I will see you again tomorrow, something more upbeat. Remember to stay safe and stay tuned! :) x x x 

Snapchat: amymrmcguire
Email: missamymcguire@hotmail.com
YOUTUBE: MissRoseMcGuire

REFERENCES: 

[1] Abhimanyu Ghoshal, (2018), YouTube's decision to make it harder to monetize videos is hurting the community, available at-https://thenextweb.com/insights/2018/01/17/youtube-is-making-it-harder-for-creators-to-earn-from-their-videos-and-hurting-its-community/, (Accessed 18/01/2018)

[2] Chris Welch, (2018), YouTube tightens rules around what channels can be monetized, available at-https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16899068/youtube-new-monetization-rules-announced-4000-hours, (Accessed 18/01/2018)

[3] Ben Popper, (2017) YouTube will no longer allow creators to make money until they reach 10,000 views, available at-https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/6/15209220/youtube-partner-program-rule-change-monetize-ads-10000-views, (Accessed 18/01/2018)

[4] bubzbeauty, (2018), Starting Over Again, available at-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r27eaazbNlM, (Accessed 18/01/2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment